Getting Around Lake Tahoe
South Lake Tahoe Airport
The South Lake Tahoe Airport is located at 1901 Airport Rd., South Lake Tahoe, CA 96150. This airport is mainly used for private airlines. It's been many years since South Lake Tahoe has had incoming/outgoing commercial airlines coming into South Tahoe. The airfield sits at an elevation of 6,264' msl. Runway 18/36 is 8,544’ x 100’. Unicom is on 122.85 and AWOS is on 124.725. Reno FSS is on 122.25 and approach/departure frequency is through Oakland Center on 127.95. The airport is an all weather field with multiple instrument approaches. Mountain West Aviation
Reno-Tahoe International Airport
Reno-Tahoe International Airport located in Reno is the closest major airport to Lake Tahoe with major commercial airline services. Reno-Tahoe Airport has recently added a number of non-stop flight destination from it's location. Including overseas trips. On average the airport will service well over 3 million passengers. If your Lake Tahoe vacation requires a flight, we recommend landing at Reno-Tahoe Airport based on location. You can search flights here.
Truckee Tahoe Airport
Much like South Lake Tahoe's Airport, but a little bit busier. The Truckee Tahoe Airport has been in operation since 1958. Sitting at 5,900 feet, twelve miles from Lake Tahoe. This is a perfect airport for private planes looking at a destination for North Lake Tahoe and Truckee areas. Airport Information can be found on their official website by clicking here.
Sacramento International Airport
Sacramento International Airport, located in Sacramento CA. This airport is an option for those looking to visit North Lake Tahoe or South Lake Tahoe. Those landing at Sacramento International will have to travel about 1.5 hours to reach their Lake Tahoe destination. Travel times could take longer during winter months. Traveling to South Tahoe, use HWY 50. Travelers to North Lake Tahoe area, use HWY 80. For a complete list of directions or flight deals, click here. We have even included quick places to stop for food and fuel.
Biking in Lake Tahoe
If you love biking as your get-around options. You're in luck! Lake Tahoe is beautiful and to use a bike to stroll around is a real treat. From the North Shore to South Shore, you will have plenty of options to rent bikes or services if you bring your own bike. Check out some of these options below.
Lake Tahoe Car Rentals
Car Rentals in Lake Tahoe are mostly used by those that have flown into Reno-Tahoe International Airport or Sacramento International. Of course, those that are staying out of the area and are looking for a day trip also rent vehicles. You will find a few rental locations on both shores, usually located in hotels or casinos. You can check the following places out for some great car deals for Lake Tahoe.
Bus Services in Lake Tahoe
Getting around Lake Tahoe with the areas public transportation options is pretty simple. You will find that most areas are supported by the locations public transportation. The rates are fairly inexpensive and in some cases free. During the winter months, you'll find additional bus services provided by the local ski resorts.
- South Lake Tahoe - BlueGo. The South Shore area's coordinated transit system includes local fixed routes and commuter bus service connecting the area with Carson City and the Carson Valley. The system also includes winter ski shuttles, summer trolley service to Emerald Bay, and summer bus service from Incline Village and Stateline to Sand Harbor. The official website of BlueGo.
- Tahoe Truckee Area Regional Transit - TART. TART provides bus service along the north and west shores of North Lake Tahoe, HWY 89 from Tahoe City to Alpine Meadows, Squaw Valley and HWY 267 to Northstar Calufornia and Truckee. The official website of TART.
Reno-Tahoe Airport Bus Transportation
- Traveling from Reno-Tahoe Airport to South Lake Tahoe. You will want to use South Tahoe Airporter/South Tahoe Express. The buses will stop at every casino in Stateline, NV. Reservations are highly recommended. For more info and bookings visit www.southtahoeairporter.com
- Traveling from Reno-Tahoe Airport to North Lake Tahoe. You will want to use North Lake Tahoe Express. The buses will stop at several of the popular destinations in the North Lake area. Reserverations are highly recommended. For more info and bookings visit www.northlaketahoeexpress.com
Private & Public Vehicles
When it comes to public taxi services and private rides such as lyft and Uber both North and South Lake Tahoe have no shortage of this type of transportation. It is highly recommended to utilize any of these services, especially during peak-times such as New Years Eve, major ski weekends and the 4th of July. You may utilize our partner ship with lyft and collect discounts and credits (first time riders) by clicking on the lyft logo or entering any of the discount codes.
- lyft - Wherever you're headed in the Lake Tahoe area, count on lyft for rides in minutes. The lyft app will match you with friendly local drivers at the tap of a button. Just request and go. Collect lyft credits here.
- Uber - Uber has two options in Lake Tahoe. The normal pickup and go and UberSKI during the winter months. Like lyft, Uber is recommended during peak-times in Lake Tahoe. Find Uber rides here.
South Lake Tahoe Taxi Services;
- Elite Taxi - (530) 580-8294
- BlackJack Taxi - (530) 543-0330
- Tahoe Crown Taxi - (530) 544-8294
- Yellow Cab - (530) 544-5555
North Lake Tahoe Taxi Services;
- North Tahoe Checker - (530) 448-7006
- North Lake Tahoe Taxi Express - (530) 386-5559
- Lake Tahoe North Shore Taxi - (530) 314-1325
The only train services provided in Lake Tahoe is Amtrak which stops in Truckee, CA. However, Amtrak does provide bus service to South Lake Tahoe from a few different locations. For South Lake Tahoe, check Amtrak Bus services. Normally, this bus comes out of Sacramento, CA.
Trolley in South Lake Tahoe
The Nifty "50" Trolley runs in South Lake Tahoe during the summer months and a little into the fall months. This fun adventure runs every 60 minutes or so and is designed to let you discover a bit more about Lake Tahoe with the narrated trips. You can take this trolley to Emerald Bay and catch the North Shore Trolley for a few dollars more. You can get on and off the Trolley at anytime.
Recently Booked Hotels in Lake Tahoe
Explore Lake Tahoe